Houses of Mercy
Houses of Mercy is a mercy ministry of Kelowna Christian Center. We believe in the importance of being merciful, compassionate and caring of our neighbours and our community.
Houses of Mercy serves the community of Rutland and our KCC body in various ways. The Rutland Community Food Center (RCFC) is one of those ways - where we give out food and share in fellowship over coffee and snacks each Tuesday Night with our community. It’s an incredible opportunity to give and serve!
In discovering our greatest form of service to our community, our efforts have focused on our Rutland Community Food Center (RCFC) – a “top-up” food service for those in need.
Weekly, volunteers join together to assist in serving the community. Our foyer transforms into a ‘café style’ hall with fresh baking, coffee, hot chocolate, often soup and sandwiches, crafting tables for children and plenty of good natured conversation.
As a service, once a month, a family (or individual) can receive a package (box or bag) of food – purchased and prepared by some of our ‘thrifty’ volunteers.
People from our community come car-pooling, pulling buggies, walking, riding bikes though rain or snow just to be a part of the ministry.
Each month, between 120-150 packages of food are given out to greatly appreciative people. These packages include, donated farm-fresh eggs, Cobbs bakery loaves and buns, Sun Rype products (including juice and fruit snacks), basic items such as cereal, granola, canned goods, pasta, sauce, mixes, rice, coffee, sugar and available fruit and vegetables. Plus, extra needed items are provided, such as diapers, baby formula or smoothie drinks for those with special dietary needs. We also give out feminine products, razors, soap, shampoo, bus tickets and pool/gym packages (provided by the City of Kelowna).
There are a number of ways you can help us...
1. Collect/buy and drop off some food at the church office during the week or in the HOM bin on Sunday morning in the foyer.
2. Gather a team together and do a food drive around your neighbourhood for the RCFC. DOWNLOAD (link) the flyers for going door to door and collecting food.
3. Drop by on a Tuesday night and bring encouragement and fellowship with the people of our community.
4. Join our Hopsitality Bar - where we prepare baking, snacks and drinks and encourage those we serve!
5. Join our Registration Desk - where we register new families and individuals and take attendance of the regulars that attend.
6. Join our Food Prep Team - where we make up food bags 1 hour prior to the RCFC starting.